For students enrolled in Advanced Placement English Language and Composition (Grade 11)
AP Junior Summer Assignment
Hello, rising juniors!
In preparation for AP English Language and Composition, you will be reading the following materials this summer:
● “Argue With Me” by Jay Heinrichs -
● Triangle: The Fire That Changed America by David von Drehle
● The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Following that, you will do the assignments below and bring them to the first class meeting. All work must be handwritten. Quotes must be cited parenthetically: “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past” (189). See this website for citation help: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/03/
1. Complete the attached reading sheet for Triangle, being sure to demonstrate evidence of close reading of the entire text. Should you misplace it, you can print it through this link: Reading Sheet
2. Please answer the following question in no more than TWO HANDWRITTEN PAGE SURFACES:
Condoleezza Rice, The US Secretary of state under President George W. Bush, once said that "The essence of America — that which really unites us — is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion — it is an idea — and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things." Examine to what extent F. Scott Fitzgerald would agree with this based on the evidence in The Great Gatsby. Be sure to cite evidence from the text, either explicitly (direct quotation) or implicitly (paraphrase).